Personal Health Status: lessons learnt in 2020
This year of pandemic has changed the way one looks at his/her personal health. It is commonly observed that most of persons who were maintaining good health irrespective of having any existing disease have done well when contracted covid.
I do not have data to prove my point; it is just an observation of 9 months of pandemic and seeing patient’s recovery patterns. And even without pandemic this are useful points.
As far as personal health is concerned we have learnt some important lessons.
1. Maintain good overall fitness. Do regular exercise irrespective of your age, sex anything. Forgot covid, getting of any disease or its complications will reduce.
2. Do not remain under impression of all is well until the bell rings. After certain age regular health check ups are mandatory. No complaints means no need for regular check ups, could put you in danger. This does not mean that go list of endless list of tests which are being done without Drs Advice as “package directly available” which you may not need.
3. for those who are having some chronic diseases like Hypertension, diabetes, heart disease etc. You must maintain regular follow up as suggested even without you having active issues. This will help in maintain good control of your disease and at the same time early identification of complications of such diseases. So do not miss regular follow up and check up.
4. All must have family physician. Your family doctor is most important for your family,he will serve a guide in the time of emergency. Covid has taught us social medicine, how to trace contacts,protect family members etc,for all this he is very vital person.
5. Maintenance of your health data properly: preferably digitally now in this ear of Digital India.. This is very important. We have seen that patient when admitted alone (as the case with covid), at times are not aware about important past medical history etc.
6. Remote Consultation/Tele Consultations are here and are going to stay. This is convenient way to connect with your doctor, especially for follow up cases.Saves time and money. Make sure prior appointment is taken.
7. Have emergency plan ready: when ever some medical emergency comes in your family what are the steps that needs to be taken, should be known to all. Where to go as first contact point, whom to inform, medical documents ready etc.
8. Do not jump on any information that you get from any source. Before starting such diet/therapy anything do consult suitable expert in the field. There are no miracles happening anywhere. Do not rely upon so called forwards without knowing its authenticity.
Let’s have Happy & Healthy 2021.
Remember to wear mask, maintain social distancing and maintain good hand hygiene.